Want to know how to do your bit for the environment? Here are a few tips for a green lifestyle:
- Recycle newspapers, magazines, glass, cans, aluminium foil containers, oil and plastic bottles.
- Buy recycled products as much as possible.
- Save energy in the home by using low energy bulbs and appliances.
- Switch off lights and electrical items when not in use.
- Turn the central heating down a degree or two.
- Reuse carrier bags and refuse unnecessary packaging.
- Walk or cycle short distances, take public transport on longer journeys.
In the home
- Fit thermostatic radiator valves.
- Fit double glazing to increase insulation and reduce draughts.
- Draughtproof doors, windows and floorboards.
- Lag hog water pipes and tanks.
- Fit extra insulation in your loft.
- Buy green electricity.
- Plant a drought-resistant garden for the summer
- Register with the Mailing Preference Service (020 7766 4410), the Fax Preference Service (020 7766 4420) and the
Telephone Preference Service (020 7634 8700) to reduce your junk mail.